FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - canada/toronto hotel and car rental with Advantage miles?
Old Feb 20, 2012, 2:14 pm
torontojay

Programs: AA, AC, BA, UA, IHG, SPG, Marriott, Wyndham, Avis, Hertz
re: canada hotel and car rental with Advantage miles?

I have AADVANTAGE MILES and plan to go to canada from US for first time with my wife for few days. I checked hotel in toronto and it is around 25k miles a night. If i need car rental there, is US driver's license enough or I need to get some kind of international driver's license and how? Do hotels there offer free 24 hour parking for hotel guest? if not how much is it to park at streets or garages? can I book car rental from NYC to toronto and drop off in canada?
1. Your US DL is fine.
2. Suburban hotels offer free parking, but in downtown Toronto, it will be $24/day or more. You won't find all day street parking in downtown Toronto, but there are some lots where you can park for around $10/day. If you are south of Gerrard Street in downtown Toronto, day lots will cost even more.
3. Most major car rental companies allow you to take a car to Canada, but you must return it to US location. One way rentals are not permitted. Double check before you rent.

Don't forget that you need a passport to cross the border.

If you drive from Manhattan to Toronto, you'll pass through Niagara Falls. You may want to spend a night there instead of Toronto, as hotels are considerably cheaper.