FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Paris-Ile Maurice in Affaires: 24 euros
View Single Post
Old Feb 20, 2012, 2:46 am
blairvanhorn
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF FB Platinum For Life (F+ Rouge VintageŽ) / Hertz President's Circle / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by Cupart
I can understand the frustration among the posters concerning the initial post, but I also sense a bit of envy. We don't know what deals were made upon him leaving AF and what his termination letter included of perks.

It could very well be like the bonus' being paid out to bankers/CEOs/VP's etc which we read about during the top of the recession (is it still on or off?) but what we didn't learn about were their legally biding contracts which gave them the right to get these payments (after all we live in a society where laws are respected - or at least should be respected).

One comment about his salary and him being able to pay for the tickets full price himself kind of struck me as odd, as anyone would try and get a good deal for as little as humanly possible no matter how much money one would have...

This said, I'm not defending any actions by Mr. PHG
No, absolutely no envy on my part.

From what I have read in the press, it would seem (as you state above) that access to these fares was negotiated as part of his severance/retirement package. That's fine, and I'm sure it's all written up very nicely in the contracts.

My problem with this whole incident is what I wrote in my original post: it's more of "Do as I say, not as I do" in the context of some pretty drastic austerity measures being proposed by AF management (including a complete renegotiation of all existing labor agreements which will obviously affect employee benefits such as reduced fares, particularly the R1 High fares which is apparently just the fare PHG was scheduled to fly on).

One would think that in light of these proposed austerity measures and the more than likely acrimonious (and perhaps protracted) negotiations involved therewith, AF management (both current and former) would be striving to set examples, at least for the time being, and regardless of what's written in their contracts. That just strikes me as basic common sense (and decency).