FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Empty seats in 1st... how do you handle it?
Old Feb 18, 2012, 8:03 am
Sez_Who

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mnredfox
But as OP stated, he wouldn't have gotten the UG anyway. In this case I say lazy GA.
Not much annoys me when flying but I scratch my shorts when GA's say F has boarded full when it hasn't. Even more so now because reduced capacity --> fewer flights --> fewer seats available for UG. But that doesn't necessarily mean that a GA is lazy.

At the time of boarding, their primary (only?) concern is completing the process timely. Sometimes kettles try to board in Zone 1... sometimes the GA boots them to the back, sometimes not. All the GA is thinking about is getting through this as quickly as possible.

To see if F has really boarded full, the GA needs to actually look at the screen and this is where it falls apart. IME most GA's simply won't take the time away from scanning BP's to see if F really boarded full because their focus is on getting everyone onboard as fast as possible. It is easier just to say yes than take an extra minute to look but this is difficult when there is only one GA. FWIW, I usually find they will check to see if F has actually boarded full when there are 2 GA's at the gate, but not when there is only one.

IMO it is generally not as much about laziness on their part (though there is certainly some of that) as it is their focus on getting everyone on the plane. DL could make this a little easier for everyone by having a small monitor right next to the BP scanner but don't count on it happening.