FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Empty seats in 1st... how do you handle it?
Old Feb 18, 2012, 7:42 am
Ti22

Programs: DL EOS...
Originally Posted by 5khours
On UA, doesn't matter if you board or not. If you are already seated in Y, and something is open in F they will come get in you Y with a new boarding pass. Don't know why they don't do this on DL, can't be that hard.
For the most part DL does too. But as you will learn, we have some OCD control types who think they'll whip out printed emails and "school GA's about company policy while delaying a flight. Yeah, right....

But the grown up method that is very successful for me - if I'm close to #1 for UG, catch GA attention at a slow moment and simply ask nicely if I should board or not. 95% of the time they say go ahead and board. If a FC seat remained open they've come and moved me 100% of the time. About 5 or 6 times last year IIRC.

2 or 3 times last year I was close and the GA suggested to wait to board and I'm happy to say I'm 100% UG on those too.

There's obviously some gray areas that seem to make this a contentious topic but for the most part, behave like an adult and don't act entitled to UG and it always seems work out surprisingly well...