FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Making sense of Hilton reward options [UPDATED January 2017]
Old Feb 14, 2012, 3:07 pm
jasonbrockman

Help me decide how to book upcoming stay in Bangkok

Thank you for all the info you have posted on this subject. I have gone around and around on this as I think I have confused myself, but I am doing an Asia trip as a diamond starting next week and found out about the points rebate back if booked by Jan. 31. (Found out about it on FT on Jan 31) so I made a number of reservations that would qualify, not knowing what would be the best deal. Most of my trip is all sorted except for my Bangkok part.
I will be staying in Bangkok from Feb. 29- March 6 (6 nights). With there being a Hilton and Conrad there and the fact of different guaranteed room upgrades on premium rewards with the 30% back or P&M, Maybe you could give me your advice as to what the best option is. Here is what I have booked, as you will see many are doubled up so I could choose the best deal, and I only need the one room, but here are the options:

1- all 6 nights at the Hilton in a King Exec suite PLUS room for 183,144 points -30%= 128,200 total points

2- 1st 4 nights res. at Hilton in the same King Exec Suite PLUS room for 122,096 -30% = 85,467 points
3- last 2 nights at Conrad using P&M for a standard room (hopefully upgraded) at 17,500 points x2 = 35K (-30% = 24,500 Points) Plus about $160 USD
4- Last 2 nights at Conrad in King Exec Corner Room using points. 2 x 36,447=72894 (-30% = 56,025)
5- I have also reserved the last 2 nights at the Hilton in case I was not sure if I wanted to switch to the Conrad and it was too late, so in that case, I could still have the first 4 nights at Hilton and then stay for the last 2 as well, since it is not easy to cancel a 6 night reservation midstream and re-book, especially with out the point rebate bonus. The last 2 nights at Hilton for the Same K EX Suite PLUS room is 2 x 35080 = 70,160 (- 30% = 49,112)

6- Lastly, I I guess I could also still consider paying for the last 2 nights or any of the stay as well if that made sense as well.

Would you mind giving me some advice on what you would do to maximize the points in this scenario? I am staying 3 nights in Hong Kong using 3 Q$ free certs as I thought that would be the best option possible. I am also staying in SIN for 3 nights using P&M for the first 2 at the Hilton for 20K points x2 (-30% = 28K pts total + about $175 USD) then the 3rd night at the Conrad using a be my guest cert for free.

Seems hard to put a value on getting a very nice guaranteed upgraded suite plus on the exec level with the premium room res.

I am currently tying up about 700,000 Hilton points to hold all of my options, so it would be great to get a decision and stick to it. I will also be staying at the Bangkok Conrad on Feb 28th, one day before the beginning of my 6 and 4 night scheduled reservations at the Hilton because I could not get any decent rate in SIN for the 28th, so just coming to BKK one day early. I figured, maybe I should decide then if I would want to come back to the Conrad after seeing the Conrad upon check in and before I check in to the Hilton if it was that obvious of a decision. The only thing I had thought about the Conrad is it is a bit closer to the airport for a VERY early return flight to the US, but not sure if that should play into my decision making.

Either way, if I do decide to take the option of first 4 nights at Hilton and last 2 at Conrad, not sure if it is best to take the P&M option for the standard room hoping for an upgrade or go with the Premium room in K EX Corner for the higher points.

Your help is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance. Hopefully I can clear up some of these points.