FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2012 xxx Flight Cancellation / Delay / Diversion on (date) (consolidated-archival)
Old Feb 14, 2012, 3:06 pm
GaryD

Originally Posted by hillrider
Uh? And where does that "different" aircraft come from? Obviously, with one (actually, two) planes inoperable for mechanical reasons, they had to cancel one (actually, two) flights, and it happened to be one where your spouse was booked for. Did you imply that AA should have cancelled a different flight so as not to bother your spouse? With that level of expectations, commercial flying may not be right for you or your spouse: may I recommend NetJets?

And yes, it was mechanical: it wasn't weather, ATC, act of god, or any of the other DOT-specified reasons.
I gather this is a touchy subject. I've probably missed many debates on the issue, being relatively new.

I also realize I should have posted on the existing cancellations thread, sorry.

No, I didn't mean to imply that AA should have cancelled a different flight. I implied two other things: (1) no, it is not "obvious" (to me) that they had to cancel any flight; AA might have jiggered its aircraft at hand to keep all JFK flights operating, for all I know, and (2) if loads are very light on a certain two flights, outbound and return, why not cancel those two, rather than run several other flights late? Makes good business sense to me.

I back away with a calm expression, hands visible ...