FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Taking prescription medication to Middle East
Old Feb 12, 2012, 3:36 am
SteveF

Originally Posted by henkybaby
It may be down to stupidity but I have traveled to the UAE with Ritalin many, many times. Never a problem. Once they checked my bags, I showed them my 'medication passport' and that was it. I never even contemplated this problem....
I'm sure that most people don't and if I hadn't lived in the region neither would I have.

The craziest case I know of was a colleague (a UK citizen of Indian descent) who was posted to the UAE by his (US) company and had his entire house contents shipped. When the container was opened for inspection, customs found a jar marked "poppy seeds" in his kitchen stuff. The customs officer decided that poppy seeds = poppies = heroin and, despite his insistence that they were used in bread making he was chucked in jail. He was eventually released after about 2 weeks, but only after very high level intervention. The joke was that our local baker in Muscat, which has similar laws to the UAE, sold bread with a label stating "poppy seed bread".