FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 1K Buy-Up to F | You win SMI/J. But only this time.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 10:34 am
UA-NYC
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by colpuck
The policy seems to be fairly clear. For flights that are EUA eligible buy-ups will be offered at check-in only after all elites have been upgraded. Before T-24 the difference in price between the fare purchased and the lowest available first class fare will be displayed to everyone.

The problem is UA doesn't do a good job posting which one is which. The reason people have been complaining is that all of the sudden passengers are seeing the difference in fare and based on the original fare purchased the difference may only be the aforementioned TOD. This inspires people to pay what could be a small difference and purchase a F fare.
Have you not been reading this and all the other buy-up threads (such as the EWR-LAX $59 one)? I think the past 10 examples I've seen posted, I've pulled published fares and none were anywhere near the published buy-up to M/B.

It's not like they're buying H and spending $59 to upgrade...they're buying STL and paying that same amount.