FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Seat selection (Business Cradle)
View Single Post
Old Feb 9, 2012, 12:42 am
yamanote8

Programs: BA Gold, UA Plat, AC E35K
Flew on the Business Cradle as expected on 2/5.

Seats reclined much more than the Business-II seating that I took last August on the same route. It looks like there's less legroom than previously, probably due to the shell design of the seats, but there's a cutout in the seat in front so no worries there. Legrest doesn't go as high as I'd have liked it to though.

The screen in the shell in front is a good idea- no more bumping into the screen when eating or trying to get out of the seat. It's a touchscreen but a bit far from you (probably a better idea in economy) so you'll still want to use the tethered remote.

If you have an iPod or iPhone (no iPad love for now) then you can plug in your iPhone or iPod into the system. For that you'll need to ask your cabin attendant for the cable and then after you plug it in you can use the in-seat monitor as a TV. It basically outputs anything that can be output using the Apple component cable- videos, some apps, and your entire UI if you're jailbroken. There's a little storage pocket for your iPhone placed right next to the port too.

If you're a pair travelling then any of the window & aisle combos are pretty much the same. The last few rows might be a bit noisy due to proximity to Economy and the first few rows due to proximity to the galley though.

They display the inflight map on the screens in the bulkhead so if you're in the first row or two you'll need to stretch your neck a bit to see it.

Lots of little storage areas for things (love the flat seat pocket idea- no more wrinkling books when stuffing them in), even if you're not in the center (D) seat.

Food was good, but it was a one-tray service. That's to be expected on a short flight like this though. Mackerel was warm and tender and the food that should be cold (e.g. sushi) was of the appropriate temperature.

Service was excellent as expected, even from this Air Japan crew. The captain was British, which made for a funny Japanese announcement (it sounded like he was reading off a romaji transliteration of the Japanese announcent)

However, there's one thing- the center seat is very exposed. If you don't like people looking at what you're doing when you're working or thumping sounds from both sides of you when you're sleeping, you may actually prefer a window seat.

That's about it. If you have any questions about the Business Cradle let me know and I'll try to answer them.