FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 36 British Airways Avios Per Dollar Spent at Nordstrom (Expired)
Old Feb 8, 2012, 7:53 pm
lwildernorva

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by leftpinky
Yeah, that's really likely because a prosecutor has so much free time from those murder trials and such to even think about FT. Getting IP addresses from FT. Matching the IP address to the home. Proving someone didnt hack into the wireless and use his Screen name. This on top of the FTer not just paying for the miles or returning them after being served by Nordstroms.
A hypothetical question was posed. A hypothetical answer was given. I understand that the answer given clashes with the idea some have that there are no real-world consequences for their actions.

Whether this ever becomes a real-world scenario depends on the motivation of Nordstrom and a prosecutor as well as the willingness of a jury to buy their arguments. All of those factors are outside the control of the person who posed the hypothetical. But there can be real-world consequences.

Just ask the NBA referees who had criminal charges pressed regarding their claims of travel expenses. Amazing. All jurisdictions have murderers. It's interesting how much time prosecutors have left over for what's considered "white-collar" crime. The problem is, sometimes the decision about who to prosecute is such a crapshoot. That's the reason for the Clint Eastwood reference. If you're feeling lucky, go for it.

You might have even noticed I suggested a potentially workable scenario in the first post on this branch of the thread. Certainly more plausible than buying a bunch of different things and returning all of them because of "buyer's remorse." But, even there, no guarantees.

The only guaranteed scenario is buying stuff, getting your 36 Avios per dollar (while we're talking about guarantees, you know using Avios on BA flights incurs stiff surcharges? Cool because unlike my speculation about prosecution, there's no doubt that BA will hit you for close to $700 in surcharges for redeeming coach from NA to Europe), and then, like the average Nordstrom customer, but not the average FTer, being satisfied with your purchase and never returning it.