FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Dear United: Start enforcing friggin carry-on bag limits!
Old Feb 8, 2012, 7:10 pm
JeffK69

Programs: UA-1K--1MM, SPG- Titanium, HH-Diamond, Marriott - Platinum, Hertz - Presidents Circle, Global Entry
Originally Posted by chollie
First, 'airport security' can't even do their own job right.

Second, it is not TSA's responsibility to do the airline's job on the taxpayer's dime.

Third...would you rather gate-check your admittedly over-sized when stuffed bag or be turned back after waiting through the line at security by TSA, so you can return to the counter, wait in line, and check your bag?

As I posted elsewhere, I fly quite a bit, wide variety of times (peak and off-peak), front and back cabins, elite-heavy and non-elite-heavy routes. I'm not seeing this as a huge problem - in fact, I have yet to see a flight take off late because of problems with carry-on bags. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, I'm just saying I question how 'pervasive' it really is.

The elites will squeal the loudest if UA does decide to take a really aggressive approach to carry-ons, both those in the front cabin and those in the back.

Perhaps UA should institute a fee for carry-on bags? A fee that is larger than the fee for checked bags. That would certainly encourage folks to check more bags.

Of course, elites would expect to be exempt from the fee...
now your talking, that is the idea. Charge to carry on, and make it steep!