FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How Annoyed Do You (or I) Have To Be
View Single Post
Old Feb 4, 2012, 7:24 pm
geekalicious

Programs: Delta/Marriott
Call me a Princess.. but I routinely walk in the room and walk right back out and ask for a different room or move hotels.

I probably travel somewhere in the 150 to 200 nights a year range and I need more sleep than the average bear...and I've learned from experience to NEVER EVER stay in a room with an adjoining door - they just cannot block out sufficient noise from the neighboring room.
Before adopting a zero tolerance policy for adjoining door rooms I once heard every word of a conversation between the man in the room next to me and his wife (and it WAS his wife and I heard her name and every last detail of their lives in that call whether I wanted to or not)..and heard another man snore & cough all night. Yet another liked to sleep with ESPN on all night long.

I primarily stay in Marriott as a first choice, then Courtyards or Embassy Suites and finally a Hampton or a Hilton. I'll ask at check in (if I remember) whether it has an adjoining door or not and I always ask for non-smoking.

Just last week I walked into a Hampton and had two double beds, a tiny (not a "Suites" Hampton Inn, apparently) room and an adjoining door on a smoking floor. I walked right back down stairs. I kindly explained my request and was moved to a huge corner room suite on the non-smoking floor with no adjoining doors. Nice & quiet - slept just great.

I'm some flavor (Gold or Platinum) of elite with both Marriott and Hilton and I'm also careful to post reviews (especially positive ones) on TripAdvisor. I'm never rude about it - but I will move hotels or rooms until I'm comfortable and able to sleep.

3 things that'll make me move every time:

1. Adjoining door. I won't even finish walking into the room if I see one.
2. Room smells..or if I can smell cigarette smoke coming from any other room. I specifically ask for a non-smoking hotel/floor...I have Asthma and non-smoking accommodations are non-negotiable for me.
3. Sheets have hair on them or look unclean.

Everything else I'll usually tolerate. I'll call down and politely ask for intervention by hotel staff if there is a rowdy high school cheerleading group practicing their cheers in the hallway after midnight..but everything else I'll roll with it.
Slow draining shower/tub, streaky mirrors, slightly icky bathroom or carpets..meh, I'll live. I'll wear my shoes and not go barefoot.

Also, unless I'm at the Ritz-Carlton I remove the bed spread/decorative topper (not the duvet, just the bed spread) and toss it in a corner.