FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Travel policy conundrum
View Single Post
Old Feb 4, 2012, 2:23 pm
BigMoneyGrip

Programs: Delta, USAir, Marriott, SPG, AmEx
Originally Posted by B747-437B

Our Head of HR made some good points here. Our travel policy is guided by the philosophy that "an employee should neither unduly benefit nor unduly suffer as a result of business travel". Therefore, the standard of lifestyle that the company provides when traveling should be approximately equivalent to that we have when at home. Our Chairman flies in First because he drives around in a Rolls Royce and lives in a mansion. Our C-level staff, including myself, normally fly Business Class on personal travel (I usually use miles!), therefore it would not be particularly inconsiderate for me to even demand Business Class travel on company business. Certainly, I am encouraged to set an example within the organisation, but sometimes a better example can be set by demonstrating that common sense exceptions can exist.
I would call 17 hours each way in coach unduly suffering. Does the company purchase "Y" fares so the employees with status at least have a chance at an upgrade? Or is the policy to purchase the cheapest economy fare possible?