FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Comments Welcome Voting Underway-Amend Talkboard Guidelines Voting Results Disclosure
Old Feb 4, 2012, 5:11 am
jackal
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by goalie
While in principle, I agree with the motion, I did vote no because it does not (imho) go far enough-namely the fact that I believe public comment should close before a vote/voting period commences as imho, there is a lot of back and forth on an issue after an issue has been decided (either yes or no) but not yet published. I've posted elsewhere both publicly and privately that I'd like to see
I absolutely, vehemently disagree with the idea that discussion should ever be shut down. Not only are there entirely valid reasons to keep discussion open (i.e. ensure all FlyerTalkers, even those who don't frequent TalkBoard, have time to air their opinion, help TalkBoard members who want to weigh the full amount of comment by the community have the time to do that, etc.), it's also impossible to truly shut discussion down: if one TalkBoard Topics thread is closed, another will pop up somewhere (either inside or outside the TalkBoard Topics forum).

As Sharon said:

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Which is also one reason I respectfully disagree w/ goalie that discussion should be shut down before voting. Someone might not have been aware of the discussion thread before lockdown, but would make a valid comment pro/con in the comments welcome/voting underway thread if they came across that and that comment(s) could possibly confirm or change my opinion.