FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Discussion: 10 Suite Night Awards (SNAs) for Plats with 50 nights in calendar year
Old Feb 1, 2012, 4:49 pm
RAPC

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
A loyalty scheme is by design there to encourage regular and more importantly, profitable custom. I would argue that the one flaw in the Starwood system as a result of these changes is that they are only basing everything on nights and nothing to do with the value of the custom.

Surely the SPG Platinum with 40 nights at an average of $300 per night, who also spends regular in the hotel is worth as much, if not more than the SPG Platinum member with 80 nights at an average $100 per night with no incremental spend? The positive benefits implemented don't unfortunately allow for this to happen and it is the one area where I think SPG do need to take a leaf out of the HHonors book. This is especially true for SPG members based in some of the lesser served countries or regions where the Starwood footprint is much more restricted and therefore night opportunities may be harder to come by. This isn't a complaint, merely an observation.

My main bone of contention is the application of the 10 suite award nights in 2012. I genuinely believe that all Platinums should receive these this year. Firstly because these have been allocated purely against a target that we didn't know existed. I'm glad that I didn't miss out by a night or two like some people did as I am sure that would irk me quite a bit.

Secondly (and I would argue more importantly), it would be a good way to demonstrate to existing Platinums who were in the 25-49 nights bracket that there is a good benefit to be had by putting more nights over to SPG if they can in 2012 to enjoy the Suite Night upgrades. (Notwithstanding my earlier point that I think that the criteria should be broader than just nights.) At the moment the lack of access to these awards this is year is creating negativity from some members that really shouldn't have been allowed to come from the announcement today. I just think that SPG have missed a trick to really wow all Platinum members across their night tiers (25-49, 50-74, 75-99 and 100+) and deliver a knock-out blow. In my view they have failed in this respect with one of these groups.

I completely understand the mainly positive sentiment about these changes. There are many good enhancements and I don't begrudge anyone who has earned the extra benefits available to them. I certainly appreciate the breakfast option as well as the lifetime status options that genuinely do act as a point of differentiation for Starwood. However, in the same way that I can respect why some members are completely wowed by the changes, I would ask that other members also respect the opinions of those not universally pleased whatever the reasoning.