FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Travel policy conundrum
View Single Post
Old Feb 1, 2012, 1:48 pm
B747-437B

Ok, resolution has been reached. I will fly out in Business Class with the team per the Chairman's request, but our company will only bear the Economy Class cost per our policy. I'll spare the exact details of the compromise but it seems to be acceptable to everyone.

More interesting though has been the reaction from various people both here as well as within the organisation when I raised this question with them.

Every single one of my immediate reports that I raised this with (who are good enough friends with me that they don't need to be yes-men/women) said that I was being an idiot for even discussing the issue. They said that its the thought that counts and if I voiced my objection and was overruled by the Chairman, that was enough to convince them that I was not abusing the policy. Indeed, most said that they wouldn't even have considered it abuse if I had just quietly gone along with it without raising the issue as they see me very obviously following the policy under "normal" circumstances.

Our Head of HR made some good points here. Our travel policy is guided by the philosophy that "an employee should neither unduly benefit nor unduly suffer as a result of business travel". Therefore, the standard of lifestyle that the company provides when traveling should be approximately equivalent to that we have when at home. Our Chairman flies in First because he drives around in a Rolls Royce and lives in a mansion. Our C-level staff, including myself, normally fly Business Class on personal travel (I usually use miles!), therefore it would not be particularly inconsiderate for me to even demand Business Class travel on company business. Certainly, I am encouraged to set an example within the organisation, but sometimes a better example can be set by demonstrating that common sense exceptions can exist.

With regards our actual travel policy, as a rule of thumb we always give folks a rest day at destination on arrival (8 hour time difference). We don't have that luxury on this trip due to my previous trip that almost overlaps. Indeed, of the dozen other people who are due to travel this same route this month, I am the only one who will not have a clear rest day upon arrival. Setting an example doesn't necessarily mean that I should hold myself to a higher or different standard despite my personal discomfort or detriment. I guess I will be more open to future requests from other staff who have a similar schedule with no rest day on arrival. The cost differential is only $650 for one-way in Business, so its more affordable than most think.

This has been a bit of an eye-opener to me with regards the divergent viewpoints that exist on the issue. It just goes to prove that you can never please everyone. I'm happy that the resolution satisfies my own conscience and at the end of the day, that's pretty much the best that any manager can do for himself and his team.

Thanks to all who contributed here for their input and comments. I'll toast you guys with a glass of champagne from my flat bed seat.