FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Maximize points & miles from Large Event
View Single Post
Old Jan 30, 2012, 7:45 pm
Alpha

Programs: United Hotcake Preferred
As a matter of practice, the number of points you receive for planning an event is determined by the amount of money spent. So if you spend $10K at a property and the hotel chain awards 1 point per dollard, you will get 10K points. Since your "meetings" will revolve around sleeping rooms rather than meeting rooms, you will be dealing with a "sales manager" at each property. If you are booking significantly more than 10 rooms in a night, I would ask the sales manager if they would consider a "signing bonus." If not, ask if they can offer any "concessions," which typically come in the form of other freebies like room upgrades. The signing bonus is NOT a given, so I would book at a hotel chain that you think gives you the most points for your money and then you can hope for a signing bonus on top of that. I would encourage you to look at each program's planner reward website to see if they are running any specials. Hilton could be an attractive choice because they will award 1 point plus 1 airline mile per dollar.

As for credit cards, I think you may be on your own there.