FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Driving to Fishkill from LGA/JFK
View Single Post
Old Jan 29, 2012, 9:38 pm
dhammer53
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by ntamayo
I'll be soon starting a project in Poughkeepsie and Fishkill, and wanted to know what commute times I should expect from either JFK or LGA on Mondays.

Which segments are typical bottlenecks and how much time should I budget from the rental car lot at either airport?

Also, is there much difference between driving up there in the mornings (assuming I get off a redeye) or evenings (say, after 4pm)?
From my house in White Plains, it take 60 minutes to get to I-84 and Route 9 in Fishkill. Add another 25 minutes if you're coming from LGA if there's no traffic. From JFK, this would be 35 - 40 minutes if no traffic; and that's not going to happen in the morning rush. There are 2 ways to go to Fishkill from LGA or JFK. After you cross the Bronx-Whitestone Bridge, you'll see signs for The Hutch. From the bridge, the roads feeds into that. The Hutch eventually forks and you'll see signs for 684. From here it's 25 minutes to 84 west, and at least 15 minutes to the junction of 84 and Route 9.

Northbound in the morning, there's rush hour as you head north to Westchester. The Hutch and Saw Mill get backed up. FYI, the Saw Mill has lights. In total, the rush hour adds 10+ minutes to your trip (at a minimum).
If you're coming from JFK, add an extra 20 minutes.

FYI, Poughkeepsie is ~ 10 miles north of Fishkill.

Evening rush hours will take a little bit longer if you're coming from JFK.

Let us know additional details as you get them. If you're PGH bound, there are other alternate routes for heading north from 84.

dh