FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sheraton Fort Lauderdale Beach Hotel 2010 on [Master Thread]
Old Jan 29, 2012, 2:45 pm
quinella66

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum / Titanium, AA Executive Platinum
Upgraded to Presidential Suite as Gold

I had two rooms at the hotel for a couple of days last December, and as a Gold I received a call from the hotel manager who told me that he wanted to upgrade us to the Presidential Suite and give us the room adjoining to it. It worked out very well for us and I was more than happy with it.

Having stayed at the Diplomat as well as the W Ft Lauderdale which are nearby, I would say that the advantage is that it is right on the beach and significantly cheaper, and the beach is not shaded in the afternoon. Certainly the Diplomat is a nicer property and more expensive, but the building is so high that the beach is shaded in the afternoon after the sun passes to the inland side of it. You will notice that newer buildings in Ft. Lauderdale (like the W, which is not directly on the beach BTW), have the upper floors slanting to prevent this. Of course, if you are visiting in June, you may prefer the shade to getting sunburned :-).

I would return to all three properties mentioned above, depending on what I was planning to do.