FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What is the most useful frequent flyer blog?
Old Jan 28, 2012, 3:47 pm
benzemalyonnais

Programs: SQ
Originally Posted by lucky9876coins

First and foremost, I think people here are failing to realize that for the most part, the target audience for the blogs isn’t FlyerTalkers. If you’re obsessed with miles and points and spend hours a day reading FlyerTalk, chances are you won’t learn all that much from a blog. I run a points consulting business, and one of the groups I try to target with my blog are clients of mine that don’t know about FlyerTalk, or for that matter have the time, energy, or interest in spending hours a day browsing it. So one of my goals is to consolidate as much information as I can that they can read in 10 minutes a day.
I think that it needs to be this way, as most of us really do already know most of what's being written, and therefore we're frustrated because we're learning nothing.

That being said, there are a lot of new FTers who know nothing, and have caught on to this site. They're not yet at the same level as the rest of us, and are probably contributing a lot to the blog traffic. There is a big difference between those people and those who read Travel and Leisure magazine. Points is a complex game, and from trying to explain it to family members and friends is overwhelmingly difficult.

I just can't believe that points and mileage runs have an appeal to an average traveler - and MegaDos have no appeal to them. I think that in order for the blogs to survive and remain profitable they will have to remain a step ahead of us, or else there will be no market and no reason for anyone to read.