FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A few flights to end 2011
View Single Post
Old Jan 27, 2012, 9:10 pm
Kiwi Flyer
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
SINGAPORE to TOKYO NARITA (SIN-NRT) on Singapore Airlines 777-300ER in first class

I left the lounge at the time boarding was due to commence, figuring by the time I got to the gate way down the pier and through security boarding would be mostly completed. It had been too long since I'd been on this flight & I'd forgotten how sometimes the departure from Singapore is delayed due to ground traffic at Singapore (long haul flights take priority) and fast flight time if winds aloft are favourable. So when I arrived in the gate area boarding had not yet started, although I didn't have long to wait.

On boarding I recognised an FTer with whom I'd last flown a few years ago. Later in the flight we had a wee chat.

Again choice of 2000 Dom or Krug NV before take-off (there is rumoured to be some other liquids available also), and again plenty of refills during boarding. The usual pjs, amenity kit, menu. Slippers and eye mask weren't handed out until after take-off for some odd reason.

The load was light, about 3 or 4 of us. So great service all flight. I opted to have dinner and then sleep through breakfast. Since I love the SQ Japanese meals (kyo kaiseki in first and hanagoyami in business) I had booked the cook this to ensure I got it, rather than trust to the meal order in the cabin where it may have been unavailable if too many passengers before me selected it.

After much eating, drinking, chatting quietly, drinking, watching a movie, and drinking, I was tired enough and noticed the empty suite across the aisle had been made up into a bed for me with a water bottle placed on the armrest. I managed a couple of hours sleep, waking near top of descent.

I'd barely opened my eyes when I was asked if I wanted a late breakfast (no thanks) or a drink (if you insist).

We didn't have any view other than early morning clouds. Indeed we only saw the ground moments before passing the runway threshold. The terminal was nowhere to be seen until we'd taxiied close enough.