FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Luggage Transfer at Delhi with Air India (Domestic to Domestic)
Old Jan 27, 2012, 7:53 am
PVDtoDEL

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by mahme
I am flying Air India from Amritsar to Mumbai with a 110 minute layover in Delhi Airport.

Our flight from ATQ will arrive at DEL at 8:10AM and our next flight to BOM leaves at 10:00AM.

My question is how reliable are checked baggage transfer at Delhi airporrt? 1 hour and 50 minutes should be plenty enough time for the checked luggage to be transfered to our next flight... However, since we have so much time, I could also only check the luggage to Delhi, and then, pick up the bags and re check them in Delhi Airport onto our next flight (the advantage being that in case our second flight is delayed, we have the option of booking another flight with another carrier...)...

Any advice would help.. I'm mostly intersted in hearing from people who have connected domestic to domestic with Air India and checked bags...
With Terminal 3, the process of transfers at DEL has improved considerably.

However, I would make sure to book it on 1 ticket instead of 2 - if your original flight is delayed or cancelled, AI will only send you to your final destination if it is on a singe ticket. If it is on multiple tickets, you'll be stuck at DEL.

Also, the baggage claims at DEL are ridiculously slow. It took me a good 1 hour to collect my bags last time I was there. If it takes you an hour to collect your bags, you will be dangerously close to the 45 minutes before departure that checkin closes at. Especially if your inbound flight is late.