FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [Expired] Citi Premier 50,000 TY Bonus Pts. ($500+ worth) FEE FREE FIRST YEAR
Old Jan 25, 2012, 5:50 pm
8tracks

Originally Posted by Happy
Just so if you choose to redeem the air by 100% of TYPs, you get a break of 25% on the pricing. TYP is at a fixed 0.01 cent per point by the way. Hence without the 25% discount, it is a strict 1c per point redemption value.

There is no trick in doing that. It is a standard website feature. The only "trick" is, the 25% discount is only available when the full air fare is paid by TYPs. You can do Point + Cash but then the point would become 1 cent per point. The lucrative loophole has long been plugged.
I just received my Premier Card and had 7,441 TYPs from another card, which was not enough for a flight I wanted. At the TY site, as at most others I checked, the flight cost $159+10.80. In addition TY offered the flight for 12,766 points or (7,441 Points + $70.82). I just opted for the latter and believe I got a 25% bonus on the points portion of my purchase.

Had I paid in full for the ticket with the Premier card the Miles Flown bonus would've offset the TYP bonus by about 50 cents.