FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - VIP Status (advice wanted - any program, for less $$$)
Old Jan 25, 2012, 1:02 pm
sbjnyc

Full pay JoB video poker (9/6) has a house edge of under 0.5% (assuming no progressive). As I recall it is 1 point per $10 coin in on VP with total rewards and since you need 11k for diamond that is an expected loss of 110,000*0.005 = $550 with near perfect play, which is well worth being a diamond (at least it used to be now that you need I think 15k to enter the diamond lounge), again assuming no progressive (some of their properties have progressives on these machines which could reduce or even remove the house edge).

$110,000 on a $0.25 machine is 88,000 plays and you expect to get a royal roughly every 40,000 plays so you expect 2. You can play $1 machines to get to diamond faster but that gives you 22,000 plays which means you should be about 50-50 to hit a royal which can be a real problem. The bigger problem is that you will get a 1099 if you hit a royal on a $1 machine while you will rarely see a progressive over $1200 on on a full pay machine. In addition you can't apply loss carry forwards on big gambling wins so steer clear of any machine that pays over $1200.

JoB has the the lowest variance that I know of (as far as VP goes) but it has a very high skew which means that you probably need to hit your expected 2 royals to avoid a large loss ($0.25 machine).