FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Using SkyMiles with Alaska Airlines
View Single Post
Old Jan 24, 2012, 4:11 pm
ryandc99
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by fti
Very good instructions.

I do this quite often after going to alaskaair.com first to find the exact flights and dates that award seats are available. What is shown as super saver award availability on alaskaair.com will be available using DL miles. Very very seldom do I need to call DL in order to book AS flights. Using multi-city as described above works like a charm.

Hint: sometimes alaskaair.com shows legal connections using their miles that are not legal using DL miles. So be careful. Once alaskaair.com showed something like MSP-BOI-SEA-ANC for super saver using AS miles. But that routing was not permitted using DL miles. Also, the stopover/connection rules with AS miles is more liberal/generous. So a flight MSP-SEA-ANC with a 5 hour layover in both directions found on alaskaair.com is fine if you were using AS miles, but is not OK using DL miles (since with DL any connection >4 hours is a "stopover" and you are only allowed one stopover per ticket).
Do you know if you can book award tickets with Era Aviation? (Into Kodiak?) I haven't tried one yet, but I was planning to later, and I was curious if this was allowed/required a phone call etc.

Edit: I just tried a dummy booking and it wouldn't let me. Is this possible with a phone call?