FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Striving for Gold with BA: AMS-LHR-SEA-LAX-LAS (and back again!)
Old Jan 23, 2012, 4:59 pm
silonic

Programs: BA Gold; Flying Blue Platinum, Hilton Diamond
SEA – LAX AA 6778 but operated by Alaska Airlines 456F
Boeing 737-800, Seat: 3A
Scheduled 08.00, Actual Take off 08.13
Landed 10.33am

I took advantage of the hotel having a good rate with a local town car company and got picked up at 6am. It was a struggle getting out of bed, but it’s a new dawn, it’s a new day, it’s a new life for me and I’ve...........got to stop singing random Michael Buble songs!

The weather in Seattle was now getting cold and there was a fine drizzle coming down on this particular Saturday morning with a pending snow storm in the forecast. Being so early in the morning we made the trip to Seattle Tacoma within 25 minutes, barely 15 hours after I had last left the airport.

To my amazement the airport was heaving with people. There was a real bustle about the airport, similar to being at Schiphol on an early midweek morning. There were long queues at the booking terminals so I found the 1st class check in and asked the Alaska Airways checkin if I needed to print my boarding pass? Absolutely not, was the reply and so the friendly and jolly checkin clerk had my two boarding passes in hand with assurances that my case would arrive in Las Vegas. I was then showed the fast track security line which, although looked quicker than the normal security line, was still at least 40 people deep.

Normal procedure – items in trouser pockets into coat pocket, coat off, belt off, ipad out, watch off....and shoes off here too and then I got x-rayed for the first ever time. It’s a bit of a weird process especially once it’s completed but you then have to wait on the 2 foot prints as the security officer listens, via ear piece, to the “man in the sky” who either gives you the thumbs up or thumbs down. As expected I got the ^

I then headed for the Alaska Airlines lounge. There were 3 greeters behind a desk and they were all in particularly good moods considering the day and the early hour. I was explained that downstairs is more for business people and therefore quieter, whilst upstairs is a more lively place. I chose downstairs and grabbed myself a slice of fruit bread and a pot of jam. To be honest the lounge was nothing to really write home about

But wasn’t bad compared to some of the domestic lounges I had experienced in the past.

They were also correct about people keeping quiet in the lower lounge. There were plenty of signs to remind you in case you forgot

Now this is slightly embarrassing, but I do remember a while ago seeing a plane and noticing a brief glimpse of its tail and thinking to myself “wow that must me a Jamaican airline as that looked like Bob Marley on the tail”. Well for the first time ever I came across my Bob Marley plane again and this time I realised my stupidity as I stared at the plane that would be taking me to Los Angeles.

Has anyone else ever made that mistake?

I had to take a shuttle across to the S gates so literally had 10 minutes in the lounge, just enough time to download a paper onto my iPad, before heading to the gate. Upon arriving I saw the priority lane and headed down. Everyone was getting there BPs scanned but mine beeped upon arrival. I knew there wasn’t going to be an upgrade, unless the captain was asking me to sit in the Jump Seat, but instead the checkin lady looked down at a piece of paper and said “Ah Mr. Silonic, you’re good to go ahead”. Ok, I will.

I took my seat next to a middle aged lady and felt so bad that within 30 secs of sitting down I realised my camera was in the hold above, so having clambered back over her I got my prize possession and got ready for the flight.

First class was 4 rows in a 2/2 formation. There were big arm rests in between you and your neighbour and an extra tray that pulled out from the armrest for drinks. Tray table was also in all of the armrests instead of being pulled down from the seat in front.

Upon boarding we were offered a water or a coffee. I decided the caffeine pick up would be worthwhile although still find adding cream instead of milk an acquired taste.

It does always amaze me the number of different ways that safety announcements are made depending on the airline you are travelling with. I guess I’m used to BA’s style however on Alaska they explained the oxygen masks before talking about the seatbelt. On KLM flights across Europe they don’t even bother talking about the life jackets – obviously not expecting any kind of Hudson style landings in Europe!! Well today the person speaking obviously needed the toilet because I’ve never heard a safety briefing spoken so quickly.

Captain welcomed us on board and was very jovial and chatty, mixing his pre flight chat with humour and info. Then he introduced a male cc who was on his first flight with Alaska Airlines. He even gave us his bio, including growing up in the costume design set for star wars; being a body stunt double for Mulder from the X Files and something else which escapes my mind.

As we took off, we eventually flew through the darkness and the rain and found a beautiful sunrise above the clouds

After about 15 mins of flying the cc came round and by name asked us if we would like a drink and if we would be having breakfast. Yes and Yes (Obviously!!), although did decide to stay away from the alcohol after yesterday’s indulgence and asked instead for a diet coke. Breakfast was 2 pies. One was with egg, bacon and cheese whilst the other was filled with egg and sun dried tomato. They were, for a better word, different.....

They were accompanied by a hot tomato wedge, a strawberry and a pineapple chunk. I have to admit, the pineapple was one of the sweetest and tasty pineapple I had eaten for a while – would have been happy with a bowl of that.

One cool thing was the napkin. It had a button hole in the corner so should you wish to pin it to you neck you could just push the top button of your shirt through the hole and not worry about it falling down or getting any food down you.

Now this is where the kid in me came to fruition. It’s been a while since I’ve taken a US domestic flight but all of a sudden I realised I could connect to Wifi – wow. Not sure if there was a discount or a code for F passengers but I spent $9.99 or so and just had to send my OH an email from 32,000 feet!

One final round of drinks were offered and then we got ready to land into LAX.

I did ask the cc if they knew where I had to go for my connecting flight but they didn’t have a clue – so as I left the plane it was time to look where my LAS connection was.......