FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Proposal: Sticky Thread in Europe Forum about the basics of planning a trip in Europe
Old Jan 23, 2012, 8:37 am
SkiAdcock
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by caspritz78
I often visit the Europe Forum to help people coming to Europe and to give my advise when planing a trip through Europe. I have noticed that for some reason people want to squeeze whole Europe in a two to three week trip and ask the forum if this is possible. Often this is combined with the question if the chosen itinerary is family friend since small kids are on board.

The majority of answers fellow flyertalkers do give is to reduce the itinerary and give tips how to make most out of the trip by focusing on certain things.

Therefore I suggest to add a sticky thread in the Europe forum about some basics on how to plan a Europe vacation and how to avoid certain pitfalls.

Possible sections could be but not are limited to:

When to travel (differences between winter and summer tourism in Europe)
Where to go (west, south, middle, east and which combinations make sense)
How to travel (Car, plane, train)
A List with good threads about possible itineraries

Does this find acceptance with the community here?
Who would be interested in supporting me and helping me to create such a thread?
Interesting that you bring this up. When I was in LA last week I was chatting with a FTer about something similar for the major cities that get a lot of questions & mentioned it to the Community Director. She asked me if I was thinking along the lines of something chexfan had created for Seattle.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/west/...ors-guide.html

Which is what I was thinking of. Of course it also means finding someone who is enthusiastic enough to do something like that for dif cities, or in your case, region.

I noticed there's a sticky in the Europe forum called Europe forum directory, which is broken out by country (with some countries having detailed info & others with very little), as well as a section re: general questions re: Europe.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/europ...directory.html

You might want to touch base with the mod of that forum re: your suggestion & where your input might fit into that, or if it needs its own sticky.

BTW - I agree with the others that your idea doesn't fall under TB per se, as mine didn't either, but I'd love for us to find some FTers knowledgable with certain cities/regions to create such a thing, such as chexfan's Seattle guide.

Cheers.