FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Istanbul Airport, Expedia disaster experience..
Old Jan 23, 2012, 8:22 am
vmsea

Programs: PC Plat RA, SPG Gold, AS MVPG
Istanbul Airport, Expedia disaster experience..

So if this belongs in another forum, please move. Fairly new here so not aware of all the subforums available.

Flight was Istanbul to Amsterdam on Turkish Airline. Ticket booked on Expedia. (this is the return leg).
7:20pm flight. I arrive at airport around.. 5:50pm.
Tried electronic check-in - the machine wont' scan my passport.. a airline representative tried it, failed, and told me to go stand in a MASSIVELY LONG time.
(i should have known better in hindsight.. there's gotta be a better line as I have no luggage to check, just need to check in).

Apparently check in closes 60 mins prior to flight. by the time i get to the agent counter, it's 52 minutes to flight.. closed.. go see Supervisor please - WHAT? I just waited like 30 mins and now i can't go on flight?

Supervisor- massive crowd of people, all jumping in to talk to supervisor, who's literally got 4 land lines ringing non stop. Finally i get someone who calls someone, and comes back to tell me - nope.. closed can't get in.. doesn't matter you have no luggage etc.. go see ticket office to change ticket. Her attitude sucked.. not sure if it's b/c she's swamped, or Turkish airline just sucks in general.. I've never flown them so I don't know.

Ticket office - sorry your flight booked on expedia is non refundable. forfeit .. ticket cancelled. You need to buy a new ticket.
Panic sets in a bit.. although I chuckled at the thought of posting a facebook update and say i'm in Istanbul and I need friends to send me money?

Called expedia - nope.. your fault. escalate to supervisor.. nope.. as monotone and lack any sort empathy.. sorry .. buy a new ticket..

In the end, found an airport hotel for the night, booked the next morning flight to Amsterdam.. out of pocket $300 and lesson learned I guess..

Surprised turkish airline says i booked the ticket elsewhere, can't do anything
Expedia says if Turkish airline can't do anything, they can't do anything.
so no one can do anything.. okkkk.. credit card company dispute? or just eat the cost b/c it really is my fault i guess.. I shoulda gone to the airport earlier I suppose..