FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Disappointed with Emirates
View Single Post
Old Jan 22, 2012, 6:31 am
Sjoerd

Programs: KL Gold, SQ KF Gold, CX Green
Disappointed with Emirates

I am just back from my first ever flights on Emirates: AMS - DXB - AMS in business class.

Perhaps my expectations were too high, but I found the in-flight experience mediocre and the DXB airport and Emirates business class lounge far below average.

The hard in-flight product is OK - however I found it confusing that there are so many different cabin lay-outs on the B777-300ER which makes it quite a job for a non-frequent EK flyer to select a good seat. I found the service very mediocre: on AMS - DXB the cabin crew disappeared after lunch never to be seen again. The menu listed a "drink service" before arrival which never materialized, and I had to press the call button to get a drink. Also, the cabin crew weren't particularly friendly and it seemed they didn't really like their job. I was wondering if, given that there are so many nationalities in the cabin crew compared to most other airlines, they cooperate less well and have less fun on the job?

On arrival we taxied to a remote parking position and had to take a long bus ride to the terminal - we only set foot in the terminal some 40 minutes after touch-down which is the longest I ever experienced anywhere in the world. (and I am used to long taxis to and from Amsterdam's infamous Polderbaan runway)

The check-in process for the return flight was fine, however once entering the transit area I realized how bad and overcrowded Dubai airport is. What a mess! I hoped to find peace and quiet in the EK business class lounge......unfortunately, the lounge was completely overcrowded with long lines for the toilets, difficulties to find an empty table/seat (or even share with other passengers), and a non-functioning wifi. A huge disappointment and not expected from a quality carrier at it's home airport.

I had heard good things about EK but found the experience very mediocre even compared to airlines which don't have an excellent quality image such as KL, AF or LH.