FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is Smoking on a Hotel Room Balcony A No-No?
Old Jan 22, 2012, 5:40 am
Yaatri
Suspended

Originally Posted by RobbieRunner
My girlfriend? She can't deal with it at any time and for any reason. She'll get up and leave even if she was in the MIDDLE of her dinner if someone lit up a cigarette - even OUTSIDE. She barks if we walk PAST someone on the sidewalk smoking.
I am sure I have met your girlfriend twice.
Both incidents happened a long time ago, but within 6 months of each other.
  1. I lit up after dinner in smoking section of a restaurant. A woman walking by stopped at my table and said "I wish you wouldn't smoke here."
  2. I was smoking while walking on a pedestrian only street when a young girl screamed at me, " Get this filthy thing away from me".
Both times I was stunned.
Originally Posted by etch5895
These threads always offer a fascinating view of humanity.

I don't smoke, can't stand the smell of smoke on my clothes, and don't plan to ever start smoking.

However, the passing smell of cigarette smoke doesn't bother me in a place such as an outdoor balcony. When people sit and smoke at tables in outdoor cafes, it is a little more bothersome, and I'd prefer in those instances if they'd move off elsewhere to smoke and then return.

It is unreasonable to expect a smoker to go completely off-property to have a cigarette when they can simply go outside and smoke (and let their clothes briefly air out before coming back into the room). I think this is a reasonable accommodation. Smoking/non-smoking floors are even better.
I absolutely understand your intense dislike for smoke pervading your clothes. It even gets into your carpet, drapes and upholstery. When I smoked, I had placed restrictions on where I would allow myself to smoke. No smoking in homes or cars, whether mine or someone else's, unless the owner was smoking. Even on the coldest, the hottest, windiest, the snowiest or the rainiest days, I went outside the house, away from windows and the entrance to smoke. had smoking clothes. that I would don before going out to smoke and they were kept separate from other clothes until they were ready to be washed.
I understand how annoying it can be for a nonsmoker to smell the smoke. Stale smoke is even worse. Making accommodation for other people around you is what matters. Expecting very one in the world to comply with your likes and dislikes is unreasonable.
When I smoked, I would never be the first one to smoke min mixed company without asking if it bothered anyone. But in public places where smoking was allowed or in the smoking section of an establishment, I expected to smoke without getting admonished by non-smokers.

Does anyone remeber thre time when people lit up in movie theatres?

Last edited by Yaatri; Jan 22, 2012 at 5:57 am