FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Droid 4: Verizon 4G/LTE Abroad?
View Single Post
Old Jan 20, 2012, 8:35 am
Jake Gittes

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Gold
Droid 4: Verizon 4G/LTE Abroad?

Like many FT folks, I'm a US Verizon customer, and have been for years. Also like many FT folks, I travel a bunch internationally. That's a fundamental problem with Verizon as they operate on US CDMA networks, but they've always offered several phone options with CDMA/GSM dual radios for international travel.

However they've never offered a 4G LTE phone that'll work abroad....until now perhaps. The soon-to-be-released Droid 4 looks like it has a GSM radio in it, and Verizon will be turning on Global roaming on the phones later this year after they fix a "network issue".

Additionally, Verizon LTE phones use SIM cards, but as far as I can tell, this is the only one that would have a GSM radio in it as well.

Any thoughts on if this phone will play nice on foreign GSM or LTE networks? Will International Pre-Paid SIMs will work in this thing?

I suppose we'll learn more about this phone as its released, but I just thought this might be a nifty option for those of us who have been looking for a Verizon 4G phone to use in the US that they can take with them on the road.

Last edited by Jake Gittes; Jan 20, 2012 at 12:06 pm