FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is Smoking on a Hotel Room Balcony A No-No?
Old Jan 15, 2012, 9:53 pm
hedur

Originally Posted by Yaatri
Smoker does not equal rude, nor no-smoker equal polite, or vice versa. Let's get that straight first..
Oh my. Please show me where I said being a smoker automatically equals being rude?? As it happens, the posts by the smokers have been the rudest in this thread, despite their cries to the contrary.

What is it some guys. Is only analogy that comes to their mind is about fecal matter or urine? The remark was made rrsponse to a silly remark about urinating from a balcony. It's fun to distort people's views isn't it? Urinating from a balcony can already lead to prosecution under other state and local laws. No sign is necessary. Urinating from a balcony is neither a common occurrence, nor a suitable analogy.
The response to shows how stupid the analogy of urinating from balcony of a hotel was.
The post was about much more than urinating from a balcony and had very good points. Try reading it again.

No one is being forced. The reality is that there are people who smoke on the street, in parks and other open spaces where it's not forbidden by law. There is no law that guarantees any one air, free of smoke or any other smelly thing. This is where compromise comes in. Compromise between a smoker and a non-smoker. If there is someone smoking in the balcony, and it bothers you, stay inside. Someone could be smoking on the ground. How fare are you willing to go? When you use language such as "forced to breath", you lose all credibility with me. No one is being forced.
Hilarious that you think smokers should have all the rights and those just trying to enjoy their balcony should "stay inside" if they don't like it. There is no compromise being offered by the smoker. Even though it's a non-smoking property they are going to smoke on their balcony if they feel like it because no one matters but them. Believe me, the message is loud and clear.

It's common courtesy to not make unreasonable demands on other people, who are not doing anything illegal or against the rules or physically getting in your face/way. You can have breakfast in a balcony, no one is stopping you. If a hotel does not prohibit smoking on the balcony, or does not enforce it's no-smoking policy, your issue is with the hotel, not other guests. Don't patronise a hotel that does not guarantee you smoke free place. This sense of entitlement is where the problem is. If you want to be absolutely sure that you are never exposed to smoke, you will have to isolate yourself from the world.
The "sense of entitlement" here is all on the side of those who feel anyone who doesn't want to breathe their smoke can "stay inside" if they don't like it.

Originally Posted by LTBoston
If you reserve and pay for a non-smoking room, you have a reasonable right to expect you will not be exposed to the smell of cigarette smoke, whether it's in the room or on the balcony - particularly if the hotel advertises itself as a non-smoking property.

If you want to enjoy a cigarette in your hotel room or on your hotel room balcony, you have a reasonable right to reserve a smoking room in a hotel that permits smoking and puff away to your heart's content. You do not have a reasonable right to smoke at a non-smoking property.
^ Total common sense. Probably too much to be accepted around here, I'm afraid.