FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is Smoking on a Hotel Room Balcony A No-No?
Old Jan 15, 2012, 7:52 pm
Yaatri
Suspended

Originally Posted by hedur
The rudest posts by far have been from smokers:
Smoker does not equal rude, nor no-smoker equal polite, or vice versa. Let's get that straight first.
That was an emotional response to a common sense post.
What is it some guys. Is only analogy that comes to their mind is about fecal matter or urine? The remark was made rrsponse to a silly remark about urinating from a balcony. It's fun to distort people's views isn't it? Urinating from a balcony can already lead to prosecution under other state and local laws. No sign is necessary. Urinating from a balcony is neither a common occurrence, nor a suitable analogy.
The response to shows how stupid the analogy of urinating from balcony of a hotel was.
But it's the people who don't want to be forced to breathe second hand smoke who are the zealots. Right.
No one is being forced. The reality is that there are people who smoke on the street, in parks and other open spaces where it's not forbidden by law. There is no law that guarantees any one air, free of smoke or any other smelly thing. This is where compromise comes in. Compromise between a smoker and a non-smoker. If there is someone smoking in the balcony, and it bothers you, stay inside. Someone could be smoking on the ground. How fare are you willing to go? When you use language such as "forced to breath", you lose all credibility with me. No one is being forced.
It's a matter of common courtesy and common sense. If I am enjoying my breakfast on the balcony (a common practice at hotels) and someone a room or two away decides to light up outside (at a non-smoking hotel) I will be forced to either a) inhale all the disgusting fumes while eating my breakfast or b) go inside and shut my door and eat my (now getting cold) breakfast inside.
It's common courtesy to not make unreasonable demands on other people, who are not doing anything illegal or against the rules or physically getting in your face/way. You can have breakfast in a balcony, no one is stopping you. If a hotel does not prohibit smoking on the balcony, or does not enforce it's no-smoking policy, your issue is with the hotel, not other guests. Don't patronise a hotel that does not guarantee you smoke free place. This sense of entitlement is where the problem is. If you want to be absolutely sure that you are never exposed to smoke, you will have to isolate yourself from the world.
Of course this is fine by the smoking Nazis because their right to smoke on their balcony trumps all.
Did you say their right? I have not used the language of right here. However of you think it's a right, I am sure every smoker here will appreciate that.
As I already stated, the obvious point is that no one wants to inhale disgusting odors while enjoying their balcony. If you, as a smoker, wouldn't want to inhale feces fumes while trying to eat your breakfast, than you shouldn't expect anyone to inhale cigarette fumes while trying to enjoy theirs. Again, the only difference would be that inhaling the cigarette snoke is (potentially) hazardous while inhaling the scent of feces, as offensive as it is, is not.
Speak for yourself. Some people don't and some people do, while some don't care. Geez, that fecal obsession again. I wonder if obsession with feces and urination should tell us something.
The original question, "Is Smoking on a Hotel Room Balcony A No-No?", has a very simple answer. You may be allowed to do it based on your reading of hotel policy but that doesn't make it a courteous thing to do. But most here don't care about that. As long as they get to smoke, to hell with everyone else.
If it's not prohibited, it's allowed. Sorry. One may choose not to smoke on a balcony if it's not prohibited. If you want someone to not make that choice, try a polite request. Don't approach with a sense of entitlement. You will be surprised.