FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is Smoking on a Hotel Room Balcony A No-No?
Old Jan 15, 2012, 5:48 pm
hedur

Originally Posted by Yaatri
We are, with the exception of those on oxygen support. all inhaling smoke/particles of various types, including smoke, first hand, second hand,third hand or 20th hand.
You are, of course, entitled to you opinion, even when that opinion is dead wrong. The term "smoking Nazis" would be much better applied to those who feel the need to impose their second hand smoke on innocent travelers whose only desire is to try to enjoy their hotel balcony without inhaling disgusting (and potentially harmful) odors.

How so? I have not seen any smoker here say that they will smoke anywhere regardless of what the rules are?
The rudest posts by far have been from smokers:

Originally Posted by brendog
PS: If I ever see you, I'll make sure to blow smoke in your general direction.
That was an emotional response to a common sense post. But it's the people who don't want to be forced to breathe second hand smoke who are the zealots. Right.

I don't think smokers or any one should be forced to inhale anything they don't wish to inhale, nor has anyone here suggested that. What people are saying is that there are certain places where you might encounter smoke. NO one is advocating ignoring signs or disobeying rules.
It's a matter of common courtesy and common sense. If I am enjoying my breakfast on the balcony (a common practice at hotels) and someone a room or two away decides to light up outside (at a non-smoking hotel) I will be forced to either a) inhale all the disgusting fumes while eating my breakfast or b) go inside and shut my door and eat my (now getting cold) breakfast inside.

Of course this is fine by the smoking Nazis because their right to smoke on their balcony trumps all.

The hotel will have a bigger problem than I would. I could go to another hotel, but the hotel will have to answer to health department. The hotel will probably shut down.
The analogy is completely off the mark. Dumping fecal matter, I am sure, against local laws.
As I already stated, the obvious point is that no one wants to inhale disgusting odors while enjoying their balcony. If you, as a smoker, wouldn't want to inhale feces fumes while trying to eat your breakfast, than you shouldn't expect anyone to inhale cigarette fumes while trying to enjoy theirs. Again, the only difference would be that inhaling the cigarette snoke is (potentially) hazardous while inhaling the scent of feces, as offensive as it is, is not.

The original question, "Is Smoking on a Hotel Room Balcony A No-No?", has a very simple answer. You may be allowed to do it based on your reading of hotel policy but that doesn't make it a courteous thing to do. But most here don't care about that. As long as they get to smoke, to hell with everyone else.