FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is Smoking on a Hotel Room Balcony A No-No?
Old Jan 15, 2012, 1:07 pm
hfly
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This reminds me of the zealots when discussing people placing their feet on bulkheads (and I am not going to get into whether they are clean/smally/socked/naked/shoes,etc) who ask, would you put your feet up on the wall of your friends house when seated on a sofa, to which the answer is "hell yes if he bolted the sofa six inched from the wall".

Zealots. I would estimate that 99% of non-smoking properties that I have visited that have balconies PUT ASHTRAYS on their balconies, so that would mean that YES in fact you can and any smoker should FEEL FREE to smoke on their balcony. Furthermore I see that it must be a huge problem among a certain type of people whose "Lanai's" (what an obnoxious word, yes you have been to Hawaii and know that its the word they use) always seem to attract smoke. Guess what, Hawaii is hauge Japanese tourist destination, and smoking on balconies in Hawaii will be banned when hell freezes over, Hawaii has enough fiscal problems without driving away the huge percentage of Japanese tourists who smoke, forget about the "Hoale's".

TWA and others, I have not advocated that smokers smoke in non-smoking rooms or properties, the point I was trying to make is that in most places when you rent accomodation, whether for a day or the rest of your life, you can actually do whatever you want in it, and a hotel cannot control whether you smoke or not. You can bleat on about what you believe a contract to be, however despite what some people with lesser knowledge believe, not everything is enforcable just because it is signed up to. Generally when it comes to cleaning charges, as discussed before they are there as a ruse by enlightened management that knows that whatever they claim or insist on, they are legally NOT allowed to ban smoking in their area. Whether they try to collect or not, is another matter, and you will find that they generally DO NOT, or if they do will in fact drop it if teh guest protests or attempts to go legal. Hotels have lost way too many cases that they do not want to talk about regarding this subject.