FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Manhattan - shopping for dresses, where to go?
Old Jan 15, 2012, 8:51 am
Analise
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
What type of dress?

What my mother would have called a "day dress" which means not a "house dress" or "cocktail dress" or "evening dress" if that clears it up any. The other goal is not to look "like mutton dressed as lamb" to push these metaphors well into the distant past.

I'm over 30 - and proud of the fact, and not built like Audrey Hepburn, alas. I want something stylish but not trashy or trendy. Think lunch out in the city, a symphony concert, going to church, maybe a business event or two. I have a kid and 3 cats - silk is not practical, or nor is knit. Wool or better quality synthetic would be nice.

Ye$$, I've noticed the price$ can be a bit outrageou$. Makes me miss the Liz Claiborne line all the more.

I did look at Shabby Apple and Zapelle, and wish I could combine the features of the two. The styles of Shabby Apple in the colors and fit adjustments of Zapelle are just about what I want.

All tips appreciated!
You can shop almost anywhere here in the city. If you prefer the kind of stores you have at home, there are department stores like Lord & Taylor, Macy's, Bloomingdales, Saks and JC Penney. Forget Burgdorff Goodman...even when there is a sale. Then there is Ann Taylor, Ann Taylor Loft, Talbot's, smaller mall type stores scattered through Manhattan. Ralph Lauren is on Madison and 72nd.

If you like Nordstrom but want to save money, there is a Nordstrom Rack on 14th Street at Union Square. I always liked them better than Syms anyway. Besides Century 21, there are 2 other discount chains dotting the city called Daffy's and Strawberry which are like Dress Barn.

If you're looking for something trendy, browse the stores in SoHo on Prince Street.

Hope this helps. I know I've forgotten stores but this is what I can think of now on a Sunday morning.