FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Wing Walking on a 747! – A Trip to Longreach, Australia, on Qantas
Old Jan 14, 2012, 4:13 pm
Genius1
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Excellent report as always matthandy. Somehow you make domestic economy travel sound ever-so slightly appealing

Some comments I jotted down whilst reading;

Prices for the tour seem expensive!

Qantas Clubs always seem very crowded to me (when I've walked through the MEL and SYD ones) – I definitely prefer the Business lounges, although they're nothing to write home about either - just quieter.

2.5 hours on a prop is not my idea of fun! Pitch is 31” on Dash aircraft, but the slimline seats that QantasLink have make it seem more I think.

Interesting to fly into very small airports - something I haven't done in a while.

I hate towels on the bed in hotels – towels belong in the bathroom (where most 4/5* hotels put them of course!).

The tours of the Qantas museum were very interesting to read about – exception detail in your write-up, and great that one can touch everything at the museum. Shame no pics allowed inside 707, and I do think that they could clean the 747 cockpit! It would be nice to go to the very end of the wing on the wing walk.

What wildlife did you encounter in Longreach? I am mortally afraid of snakes

I suppose you could’ve moved up to the empty seats on the return QantasLink flight, as the annoying woman next to you didn't? I've certainly never had an airline-provided homemade sandwich on an aircraft – really does look poor.

That 767 on your flight back to SYD is actually a longhaul Qantas configuration. They did used to have an odd F/J mixed layout in the forward cabin, but this is a more recent layout with the old longhaul Dreamtime International Business seats (the version prior to the Skybeds installed on A330s and non-refurbished 747s).

Thanks again for the report, and looking forward to your EK F write-up!