FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cars at YYZ
Thread: Cars at YYZ
View Single Post
Old Jan 14, 2012, 12:31 am
Tuneman1984

Programs: Aeroplan, Priority Club, National Exec Elite, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis First, Thrifty Bluechip
I did it again...

I realized I've done a ton of rentals at YYZ without nary an update to this thread. So I will summarize my experiences over the past few months in this post.

The EA generally houses cars in the Standard class, with a few Fullsizes if space permits. Typically you'll find the Chrysler 200, Dodge Avenger, Ford Fusion, and Fullsizes on the EA are usually Malibus, but often you'll find Impalas, Altimas or Sonatas as well. Rarely they'll put a small SUV or minivan if they're running low.

On the ES the minimum is usually a proper Fullsize sedan, often the Dodge Charger or Chevy Impala. Other frequent inhabitants include the Ford Taurus, Chrysler 300, and small SUVs (usually Escapes, but I've also seen Santa Fes and Sorentos). On occasion you'll find a Genesis or Maxima, and in the summertime they sometimes toss in a Lincoln or Mustang if it's a slow day. I've also seen some larger SUVs, like the Explorer, Edge, and Journey.

A few threads back I discussed the Midsize and lower selection. There is a back section that mainly houses SUVs, and they tend to carry mostly Explorers, Ford Flex, and the Traverse/Acadia twins. They do also have proper Fullsize SUVs like Expeditions and Yukons. In the small Luxury section I've mostly seen the Cadillac DTS, but also the BMW 323i and Infiniti G37x.

Here's what I've gotten over the last few months on the EA/ES, except where noted. My experiences have been limited to T1:

Jul 23 - Maxima
Jul 30 - Taurus Limited
Aug 21 - Taurus Limited (originally picked a Fiesta from the Compact section, but returned it due to a lurchy transmission)
Sep 16 - Fusion Sport (EA)
Oct 13 - Fusion (EA)
Oct 24 - Durango (on the ES even; was a free day rental so I took one for the team )
Oct 28 - Chrysler 200
Nov 12 - 2012 Impala with new 3.6L
Nov 17 - Genesis ^ (originally picked a Fusion but took it back due to tire pressure issues; I got the distinct impression they didn't want this car on the ES, as the counter agents disputed my choice and the exit agent said bewilderingly "This was on the Executive row?", followed by "Oh those guys" and head shaking )
Nov 27 - Golf 2.5 (in Compact section, was more interesting than ES selections that night as I recall)
Dec 8 - Sonata (only car on both aisles, other choices were 4 Grand Caravans and a Journey)
Dec 13 - Grand Cherokee (originally picked a Mazda5 with 40 km on it, but discovered before leaving that, even at 5'11", I'm too tall for it with the seat all the way back)
Jan 7 - Chrysler 200 (wanted something with sat radio, almost took a LaCrosse from the Fullsize area but it smelled smoky and had no sat, was tempted by the new Rio in Compact but I needed something with a decent trunk...ES was all Impalas and a few 300s, nearly took a 300 but couldn't figure out the audio system)
Jan 12 - Mitsu Outlander (currently rented; other choices on ES included an Escape, Edge, couple 300s, and Impalas, EA had an Altima, 200 and Avenger)

So there we go, I promise to do better in time for my semi-permanent departure from Toronto on Jan 31st.