FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Keeping Capital One cards? [Cancel, Exchange, Retention Offers, all cards]
Old Jan 13, 2012, 10:42 pm
Happy
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
Already cancelled, to test if it could be done by email. It can, but it takes two messages. The first one will tell you that you "must" call. They are bluffing.

Venture is a decent foray into the serious rewards card category, but a straight 2% with no category or threshold bonuses, and only a rare redemption bargain isn't good enough. There is a tradeoff in complexity and redemption flexibility, but Citi Premier's 2.66% reward for general spending seems better for those who don't want airline miles or hotel points.
While others think the redemption is easy I find it restrictive because only the travel expenses can be redeemed at the full 1 penny value per mile. On top of that if it is not airline booking, you cannot split the redemption amount.

After I finished up the sign up bonuses, the cards have been in sock drawer ever since. I may try to downgrade it at least for the $30K line card simply it may help for overall utilization picture. The other one definitely would be canceled.

For us, it clearly cannot compete with either Chase Sapphire Preferred or Citi's Premium. If this is all C1 can muster for its foray into the up market of the CC business then C1 has a very long way to go.