FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is Smoking on a Hotel Room Balcony A No-No?
Old Jan 13, 2012, 1:29 pm
Mary2e
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Originally Posted by dcpatti
My Mr and I are both smokers. It has been a long time since we have stayed in a hotel with any smoking rooms (except in Vegas) and even when the hotel has smoking rooms, we opt for a non-smoking room. From time to time, we find ourselves in a room with a balcony, and my Mr is quite comfortable indulging his filthy dirty smoking habit on said balcony; I on the other hand always feel like we're about to get into trouble for it, except when we're at the odd, random hotel that actually puts ashtrays on the balcony (but that nervous feeling doesn't stop me from indulging my filthy dirty habit).

We do not smoke in the rooms, only outside; we use our own receptacle for ash and butts (sometimes an Altoids tin, sometimes a makeshift water bottle ashtray, etc) then dispose of it. We make sure the room door is closed so that smoke won't seep in. We can't check every neighboring balcony but if the folks next door seem to have their door open, we don't smoke, because we don't want to bother them.

So how bad an infraction is it to smoke on the balcony of a non-smoking room? Since it's officially outside, and in the open air, is it no longer an infraction? Or since it's attached to a non-smoking room, is it still a no-no?
I do exactly the same thing and refrain if I can tell if anyone is outdoors - I even check for balcony doors being open.

The only place I have ever seen specifically say you can't smoke on the balconey is at Disney hotels.

Unless they specifically tell me I can't smoke on the balcony - I do. And I also tell the people at the front desk I want a room with a balcony because I smoke. Not a single one ever told me I couldn't.