FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AAMRQ: TPG, US Airways (LCC) and Delta (DAL) consider bids for AMR Corp-- WSJ ($0.36)
Old Jan 13, 2012, 9:37 am
Global_Hi_Flyer

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This sounds to me like doing to AA what AA did to TWA (RIP, you were a great airline while it lasted).
What DL did to PA went beyond what AA did to TW.

Originally Posted by elitetraveler
Well, they were pretty damn quiet when Jeffery packed up and called the movers to ship his office to Chicago from Houston after the CO/UA merger.
There will be a deal where the new owner will "commit" to maintaining x in Ft.Worth/Texas/DFW for X years. The politicians will crow that they got this major commitment, and then the buyer will renege within 3 years.
Remind me again what DL committed to Minneapolis? Or the assurance they gave Cincinnati about keeping a hub at CVG?

Originally Posted by NorthCentralDC3
I disagree with the statement that Delta frequent flyer program leaves much to be desired. I'm active in AA and DL and can say unequivically that DL is better:

1). Rollover miles - any miles in excess of the level you attained in a year roll into the next year (Marriott does this nights in their hotel program).
While potentially beneficial, it inflates the ranks of elite.
2). Free lounge access for Diamonds
Really doesn't do any good when the place is so packed that you can't find a seat (or in some cases get past the front door). Or when they eliminate the club altogether (like they did at IAD despite increasing traffic).
3). Ability to gift an elite status to the person of your choice - I was able to give my wife Medallion Gold (equivilent of Platinum on AA).
No value to me, and inflates the ranks of elite.
4). People who are at lower levels like Silver, Gold, and Platinum still receive free upgrades - none of this $30 per 500 mile stuff that AA has for Gold and Platinum.
Still have a chance to receive first class upgrades. Have you looked at the upgrade wait lists lately? I saw one of 90 people - for a plane that has about 150 seats.

DL is also pushing to monetize first class, reducing the number of upgrades substantially. You can pay for it, or you can take your chance. I'm Platinum on DL, and have been all except for about a year when I was Gold. During the time I was Gold (and this was before Diamond was created), my upgrade percentage dropped from ~85% to ~30%. When I was AA Platinum (where one pays for upgrades), my percentage was ~20-25%, but as EXP that went up to 90+% (even as EXP it's tough to upgrade on a transcon).

On the mileage/systemwide upgrade front, AA is far and away superior to DL. Yes, AA has a copay for mile upgrades, but DL has both fare limitations (M or higher internationally) AND stiff capacity controls. DL is substantially more expensive even if one is using a systemwide. In fact, it's usually less expensive to use a systemwide on AF metal than on DL metal.

DL does allow you to choose the benefits you receive, but if you look closely the choices equate to <$200 value on the systemwides certificates.

I'm not saying that DL is better, because I love certain things about AA - e.g. I'd rather connect at DFW with the great AC in terminal D than deal with crowded connections in ATL or DTW. Both carriers have their positives and negatives, and if the required anti-trust shedding of routes and gates could be done surgically without killing the patient the result of a combined carrier could be great!
Agree. Both have positives and negatives, but Delta has long been less friendly to customers than AA.