FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Wing Walking on a 747! – A Trip to Longreach, Australia, on Qantas
Old Jan 12, 2012, 11:17 pm
LarkSFO

This is a most excellent and impressive Trip Report. Thank you for putting it together (I cannot imagine how long it must have taken...)

Originally Posted by matthandy
I was lucky enough to convince my friend to take us out sailing on the harbour on Christmas Eve in his 23ft yacht.
If it is under 50 feet, you just say 'My friends yacht' (or boat). If it is over 50 feet, you say 'My friends xx foot yacht'!

Originally Posted by matthandy
Then Christmas happened. It was ok although I felt petty homesick. Australia just doesn't have the build-up that the UK does. I decided that next year I would fly home for Christmas.

Anyway, skip past boxing day, nothing much happened.
We were in Sydney for Christmas, and it was a very different experience for someone from the northern hemisphere. It just never felt right.

We were with some very close friends (Australians) who have moved back down there, and basically we joined them in their traditions and festivities. Went to the Sydney Fish Market christmas eve and it was packed! Bought a bunch of seafood for christmas dinner, which we have never done before... Prawns, lobster, mud bugs(Delicious!), oysters, mussels. The market was really amazing in it's variety and freshness... We ended up having a wonderful christmas!

How long will you be in Australia for? Is it a permanent move? If you will be there for a long time I would imagine new traditions / new friends will be developed and you will be less homesick with the passage of time...

Boxing day was pretty uneventful for us as well. I think maybe the kids went to see Tin Tin this day, which they all really liked.

Thanks again for the fine TR.

Lark

PS you mentioned flying in over Coogee... We had a great evening in Coogee; walked the amazing beach, ate dinner at Ceviche (I highly recommend this creative restaurant and chef / owner. Some amazing creations.), and then went to a show (Seabellies and Jebediah) at the Coogee Beach Hotel. Coogee Beach Hotel is an amazing place, we could not believe how much they have under one roof!