FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AAMRQ: TPG, US Airways (LCC) and Delta (DAL) consider bids for AMR Corp-- WSJ ($0.36)
Old Jan 12, 2012, 12:19 pm
panjabi

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Five Star, Avis First
Originally Posted by CityFlyerNYC
  • Citing sources, the WSJ reports that Dal believes a deal with AMR Corp could get anti-trust approval
  • The WSJ also notes that TPG is looking to work with another airline on a bid for the company.

Let's hope this doesn't happen.

No surprise as far as TPG is concerned.

Not to say too much, but many months ago (while discussing definitive rumors of a pre-packaged bankruptcy in Jan, which turned out to be true and only 4 weeks off) and again after the bankruptcy was announced, i put out some basic details about TPG being interested in investing in post BK AMR

As with anything on the private financial boards, some info is conjecture, some are rumors and some are trial balloons put out by interested parties.

There is a prevailing school of thought that says that AMR negotiated with BOTH TPG and IAG before filing for bankruptcy and they will jointly provide the funding needed to exit BK

The thought process here is that the Board did not want to leave anything to chance and had a gentleman's agreement with both IAG and TPG

Time will tell, I suppose.. but my betting is on a joint infusion of capital by these two parties, with IAG taking a 24.9% stake and TPG taking the remaining 75.1% and IAG providing the leadership and direction