FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Keeping Capital One cards? [Cancel, Exchange, Retention Offers, all cards]
Old Jan 10, 2012, 8:51 pm
wise2u

keeping mine

wife and I got both Business and Personal and wound up with 450k worth of points!!! we used 3/4 of those so far on all inclusive resorts.....I wanted to save the rest for a cruise, but will likely cash them out by paying for business hotel and rental car with it and taking statement credit and company reimbursement. We are buying a new car and could use an extra $1200.

There is no card out there with 2% earning and a flexible redemption on anything travel related....amex and UR come close but they have limitations.

We will cancel our business cards to keep the fee down to $60 each for our personal cards...Might even be able to churn business cards if they come out with new promo.
I don't know if I'm keeping it for the flexibility and 2% back, or gratitude for the best promo of last year, or because they let me put my own picture on the card of my toes up in the sand of Lanakai beach in Oahu with the islands in the backround.

A retention bonus would be nice, but I don't cancel all my cards every year because of the annual fee, keeping a few beyond a year looks good to banks that may use your opening and closing paterns to consider your next app with them. In my book this one is worth keeping!!

Last edited by wise2u; Jan 10, 2012 at 8:55 pm Reason: spelling