FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Keeping Capital One cards? [Cancel, Exchange, Retention Offers, all cards]
Old Jan 10, 2012, 6:47 pm
stevens397

Programs: Starwood Platinum,Marriott Platinum, United Silver
As I posted elsewhere, I got this card for the 110,000 bonus AND the fact that I could redeem that for $1800 in Hyatt Gift certificates. My wife did the same and we had a wonderful time at the Park Hyatt Paris Vendome.

My interest is in aspirational awards, not a percentage back (and please, I don't knock that approach at all). When the Hyatt transfer ended, so did my interest.

I ended up with about 20,000 points in my account. I used the card in Paris at the Hyatt and used most of the remaining points to pay off that bill. The rest I was able to donate to charity and then cancelled the card. It was a great deal but without the Hyatt certificates, it no longer interested me.

It is strange to me that they went from a 110,000 bonus to a 10,000 bonus. I don't care how much you like Alex Baldwin - hard to imagine they are getting many new customers with the other good deals out there, like Chase Sapphire.