FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Valuation of miles
View Single Post
Old Jan 9, 2012, 8:41 pm
brunos
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by Zembla
Ah! Love this topic! Value of miles all depend on what you want to do with your miles. I, for example find it already worthwhile to "buy" miles at about 0.015 cents per mile. My criteria is the price of miles has to be cheaper than Z fare + tax on CDG or AMS to JFK divided by 120000 miles. The reasoning is that I would pay more if I had to buy the ticket.

For somebody else it could be 0.005 cents per miles because he would have completely other ideas.

So. What do you want to do with them and I'd be happy to give some directions.
On a preview: 60000 miles for 120 quid extra sounds like a bargain to me. But then the additional question is, how many miles would you earn if you would not pay the 120 quid extra?
Edit: Similar reasoning...but had already typed this
Hi Zembla, I think that you have your monetary units wrong. I think that you mean 1.5 cents per mile.

Getting the "value" of a mile is a difficult exercise as it depends on many factors, most of them listed by cityflyer369. A big one being low award availability.
I tend to follow the same rule as Zembla. A Z fare exHKG cost some 2,300EUR before surcharge/tax , while a Biz award is 160,000 miles (and surcharges are more expensive on awards). We seldom get promo exHKG and conditions are too restrictive for me, so I only consider classic awards O. Because there is plenty of availabitity of fully-flexible Z, it is much more attractive than a O award, so rather than valuing it is 2,300/160,000 = 1.4 euro cents per mile, I value it at max 1 cent per mile.
In the OP question the additional cost of a EDI-CDG-EDI seems around 150EUR. So that seems good value for 60Km. But I find it difficult to understand how you can get 60K on a CDG-NRT-CDG, maybe some form of promotion. Also you have to factor in the loss of miles you would have earned on another airline, say BA.

Last edited by brunos; Jan 9, 2012 at 8:54 pm