FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Passport validity requirement?
View Single Post
Old Jan 9, 2012, 7:49 pm
gnaget

Programs: UA *G MM
Originally Posted by SingTel001
Easy answer. Ask Timatic.
http://tinyurl.com/84x2yba
- Passport and/or passport replacing documents must be valid
on arrival.
This "Visitors not holding return/onward ticket could be refused entry" is an interesting statement. So this derives from IATA? I could not find anything about this on Japanese govt websites. "Could be" is also vague. Japan can deny entry to anyone they find suspicious, but the problem is not Japan immigration but the airline.

I have entered Japan about 10 times in the past year on tickets terminating in Japan without any problem on the following airlines: SK, ANA, UA, TG, SQ and TK.

However, last week, NZ refused to check me in without an onward ticket so I had to quickly buy a one way refundable online in the lobby at AKL. NZ is a pretty backward airline that does not have online check-in. I recall that UA once asked to disclose date of departure from Japan when I checked in online. But I am also recalling that I checked in in person with ANA, TG and SQ as well.

FYI, I have an official document from a Japanese government agency as a "get out of jail free card" in case I have any trouble due to my frequent entries, but it's all smiles so far. The immigration agents never ask for onward tickets.