FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Valuation of miles
View Single Post
Old Jan 9, 2012, 1:12 pm
Zembla

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
Originally Posted by subhi
Hi All,

I am wondering whether to fly back to back CDG-NRT-CDG to collect around 60k FB miles. It will cost me a minimum of £120 to get to Paris and back from Edinburgh.

The question I am pondering if it's worth it. Is there any way to work out if it's worth spending the money to get the miles.

What are your thoughts on this ?
Ah! Love this topic! Value of miles all depend on what you want to do with your miles. I, for example find it already worthwhile to "buy" miles at about 1.5 cents per mile. My criteria is the price of miles has to be cheaper than Z fare + tax on CDG or AMS to JFK divided by 120000 miles. The reasoning is that I would pay more if I had to buy the ticket.

For somebody else it could be 0.5 cents per miles because he would have completely other ideas.

So. What do you want to do with them and I'd be happy to give some directions.
On a preview: 60000 miles for 120 quid extra sounds like a bargain to me. But then the additional question is, how many miles would you earn if you would not pay the 120 quid extra?

Originally Posted by Xandrios
If you spend the miles on promo business class I personally value them at about 1 cents each. So in order to gain 60K miles I would not spend more than 600 euros.
Edit: Similar reasoning...but had already typed this

Last edited by Zembla; Jan 10, 2012 at 8:01 am