FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Westin Grand Hotel, Frankfurt, Germany, post 2007 renovation [Master Thread]
Old Jan 7, 2012, 10:52 pm
stylo4444

Programs: Delta SkyMiles PM, Starwood SPG Platinum, Hilton HH Honors, UA MP Silver, EK Skywards Silver
Originally Posted by famtravlworld
The club lounge here is very, very good. Some of the front desk staff could learn a thing or two about customer service from the young ladies who staff the club lounge.

To the very unpleasant lady with short, dark hair at the front desk:
First of all, it wouldn't hurt you to smile every once in a while. It won't cause your face to crack and it doesn't hurt.
Second, you may think because I carry a U.S. passport and am a woman traveling with a child that I am just some dumb tourist. I'd like you to know I'm a return Platinum guest to your property and the reason I return is to visit my grandparents graves. I spent a lot of time with them in Frankfurt while I was growing up and I understand enough German to know you told the trainee who checked me in not to upgrade me to the suite that I deserved under the terms of the SPG program. Your hotel wasn't busy during my stay. There were no trade fairs in town and it was over the holiday. In fact, many staff remarked on how quiet it was.
Your rude, hateful attitude really is uncalled for. I'm upset not only that you tried to not give me the upgrade I was entitled to, but that you did it with such attitude.

To the management:
I spoke with the front desk about this matter when I checked out. I was told you'd email me. It's been weeks and I haven't heard a word.

To the SPG Lurkers out there:
We shouldn't have to fight for the upgrades we are entitled to.
Wow. Now that's not only bad customer service from this hotel, but that kind of behavior is shameful.

Have you called the Platinum line and asked them to speak to the hotel management? You should give that a try...or if you can call the hotel, ask to speak to a manager and take note of the staff member you speak to. I've had a similar situation happen in the past when regarding a particular request I was told a management staff member would give me a call back...never happened for some time, and the Platinum line helped me out greatly and got the matter resolved within a few minutes.

One word of caution, as much as I believe that the property was not busy during that time and your experience was just horrendous dealing with the front desk...it's always best not to assume availability. You can always check spg.com and see what room types are available but at the end of the day we can act like we know what the hotel inventory looks like based on the atmosphere (trust me, I do this as well) and still be wrong. I am in no way trying to defend the actions of the Westin Grand Frankfurt here, but I just don't like to assume that hotels aren't going to be full and I'll be upgraded...I do my best to have the mindset that everything is based on availability, hope for the best that an upgrade will get through as it is a benefit of being a Platinum, and if it happens...it's just a nice surprise.

I have actually tried to book this hotel a couple times before during a time where I thought it was quiet, and there were no suites available at all even for purchase. As a result, I ended up booking at the Le Meridien Parkhotel Frankfurt where I requested an upgrade after booking a Classic Room and was moved to a Deluxe Room rather than a Suite in the historic wing. Spg.com showed availability of suites - because I was not feeling well I did not bother going back down and letting them know and it was only a 1 night stay. Should I have been upgraded? I think so, but in 2011...I think that was maybe 1 of 2 stays in which I did not receive an upgrade to a Suite. The other being the Sheraton Atlanta Airport.

With that said, the front desk behavior you experienced was just flat out wrong in assuming you did not understand what they were saying and it's just unprofessional. Interestingly enough, I'm going to back in Frankfurt for a day or two in March and was planning on booking at this property...I'll have to think on this one. The Le Meridien Frankfurt was a bit disappointing on the upgrade, maybe I need to just stay at the Sheraton Frankfurt Airport.