FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A few flights to end 2011
View Single Post
Old Jan 6, 2012, 12:54 pm
Kiwi Flyer
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
SINGAPORE to LONDON HEATHROW (SIN-LHR) on Singapore Airlines 777-300ER in business

Security was devoid of passengers when I arrived, which is a bit unusual - normally there are lots of people arriving at the gate at the last minute. I was greeted at the xray and whisked onboard, with the door shutting a moment behind me and a good 10 minutes early.

The flight was very full, with just 1 empty seat in first. The forward mini-cabin, however, had only 6 passengers because the other 2 seats were reserved for pilots.

A water bottle and menu were already in my seat and I was quickly offered a drink (no bubbles - eek!), a hot towel, socks and eye mask, and had my breakfast order taken (or in my case confirming the book the cook option I had pre-ordered was still acceptable or did I want to switch to an item from the menu).

Breakfast was served shortly after take-off. They forgot my drink request and I had to ask again, which promptly drew profuse apologies. I ate slowly while watching a movie and reading. I then had a few hours sleep and spent the rest of the flight alternately resting eyes/dozing and watching a tv show plus having a drink. The second meal service began about 3 hours before landing, and in between some passengers took advantage of the snack service upon request.

With our early departure we were looking to land very early but instead got a scenic descent. First parallel to the River Thames but well north of it, turning somewhere north of Heathrow to return east again north of the River Thames but rather closer, turning again seaward of Greenwich to track along the River Thames and finally landing. We still arrived a little early.